"Cee forty-three! Ayche sixty-six! En twelve, oh twelve! Ess two - Hike!"
The characteristic crush of bodies following the snap brought a cheer to the crowd. It was the opening drive of the season opener and the Bison were doing it in style.
The quarterback, Tom Orwell, biochem major, had a bit of a wry wit and wasn't afraid to use it. He liked to name his plays in obscure fashion, drawing on his extensive background in biochemistry.
He slipped into the pocket, the backs were holding the defensive line to the outside. He caught the eye of 14, the left wide-receiver, flitting between two greens on the crossover. He notched his arm back and let it fly. Stewart snagged the ball out of the air and took off, his man still trying to catch up after getting lost in the congestion. The rest of the greens converged on the ball carrier, moths to a flame, and in one slick motion, he flipped it off to 74, Garret, who was streaking to the left flag in the opposite direction, executing a perfect 'oxytocin' pattern.
"Hey, did you hear? Yasser Arafat died this morning."
"No way! What does that mean for Middle Eastern peace?"
"It will probably open the door for more Israeli-Palestinian peace ta-"
"Hey, I'm trying to watch the game here."
10.11.04
gumption
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Your style in this one reminds me astoundingly of W.P. Kinsella. Given the two to three books/pieces of writing that I've ever read by him -- and years ago -- I'm surprised by how sudden the connection was. I always loved his writing style though. Interesting. If Kinsella had written about football rather than baseball, and had... some ridiculous obsession with biochem.. I wouldn't have been able to tell.
i've never read anything by him. i'll have to look into that. recommended titles?
this was just something i drudged up from the annals of my high school lexicon. oxytocin = ultimate weapon. dictionary.com provided a formula and i had just watched at footbally episode of smallville. and then yasser arafat died.
Lol, most interesting motivation for that story. Now I understand the meaning of oxytocin pattern. I kept trying to figure out what the connection could possibly be... the ball is being tossed backwards... like... it's being... lactated?? Now it makes sense.
I recommend The Baseball Confederacy. My memory is sketchy but I did that book for gr. 10 something and it was hilariously strange. I also read some other Kinsella piece that was like.. almost identical to a chapter in that book, or something like that. Maybe it was the chapter in some other collection? I don't think so though. The title "Field of Dreams" rings a bell although I don't remeber if it was a separate book, story, or just one of the chapters. Take a gander.
Post a Comment